If you have a 9-5 job, you need to take special care of your health because honestly, sitting in a cubicle and working on your computer for hours drives more health risks than it seems. If you want to avoid such health problems, take measures and prevent them. Here are 9 potential health problems usually invited by a morn to dusk job!
1. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS): The constant use of wrist movement to work with the mouse, a certain pressure acts on the median nerve, which can lead to tingling, numbness, weakness or even muscle damage. So give your hand some rest in between tasks.
2. Eyestrain: Those who spend hours working on a spreadsheet or programmers, who indulge themselves in a code to debug one slight error, are familiar with the concept of eyestrain. Staring at the computer screen can lead to blurry eyes and highly sensitive ones, making them too dry or too watery.
3. Noise Stress: The extreme level of noise bustling in the office everyday can lower your concentration level and thus, make you feel overly stressed every time you try to focus or make some important decisions.
4. Obesity: Not a very new issue but it’s becoming very common due to lack of physical movement and activities. The increasing level of stress and intake of junk food everyday is just giving more push towards obesity. So, try to eat healthy and make sure you exercise every day for at least a few minutes before heading to work or after returning from work.
5. Heart disease: Familiar with the much-needed-smoking-break? That’s going to cause you severe heart diseases. And along with that, junk food, no exercise and stress act as additional factors driving the diseases faster than ever.
6. Lower-back pain: After sitting for such long hours in just one position, what else do you expect? Of course, you will face pain in your lower back and if you do not take care of that ASAP, it is soon going to turn into spondylitis.
7. Bacteria/Viruses: So many employees working on the same floor, using the same washroom just indicates how much you are dealing with viruses and bacteria every day. Use preventive measures like sanitizers, tissues, paper soap, etc. to avoid germs.
8. Exposure to Magnetic and Electric fields: Scientifically proven to be the greatest danger right now because we are always using mobiles, laptops, desktops, etc. But we do not realize that the radiation they emit is extremely harmful. It can cause serious issues like cancers, leukemia, depression, development and reproductive problems.
9. Colon cancer: While many experts are still debating on colon cancer, most of them think there’s a direct link between it and the sitting for hours in one posture. So allow yourself some exercise every day and take short breaks during office hours.
In other words, earning money or competing to reach the peak has become so crucial in today’s world; people are forgetting what they are dealing with on a daily basis and how it’s going to effect in the long term. So, work as much as the body permits, take measures, lower your stress and keep in mind, work is essential, but it’s not everything.